Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, St Marys, Georgia
St Marys is the second oldest city in Georgia, recognized by an act of the Georgia legislature on December 5, 1792 and incorporated in November, 1802. The parish of Our Lady Star of the Sea was establishedin 1840, the sixth parish founded by the Diocese in Georgia. Worship services were first held above a store on the waterfront. In 1847 Mrs. Marie Ponce DuFour and her husband Lewis arranged for the acquisition of a failed bank building which was converted to a chapel. A bell tower was added to the building and the Chapel was utilized for over a century. Many of the parishioners of the church were Acadians who came from Nova Scotia seeking religious freedom. The chapel has been ovingly restored and maintained by the Chapel Guild.